In order to foster rich, innovative, and challenging intellectual conversations, the Philosophy of Religion Unit is committed to inclusion. Our Unit expects pre-arranged sessions or panel proposals to incorporate diversity of gender, race, ethnicity, and rank.
The steering committee invites proposals on the following topics:
1. Analytic philosophy of religion and race
2. Pluralism, political theology, and philosophy of religion
3. Plagues, solitude, isolation, and social collapse
4. Anti-blackness, philosophy, and religion
5. Whiteness and Buddhist philosophy; Buddhism and race
6. New work on DuBois; papers on DuBois and Weber are also invited
7. The shape and future of philosophy of religion
8. Coloniality, gender, and conceptions of violence
9. Scientific and religious naturalism
Although proposals for individual papers will be given due consideration, we encourage proposals for prearranged "papers sessions" (i.e., an entire session with a designated group of presenters) on these or other topics that will be of interest to philosophers of religion. Proposals have a much greater chance of acceptance if they are written so as to be accessible to philosophers with no expertise on the particular topics or figures dealt with in the proposed paper, and they make very clear the central thesis and main line(s) of argument of the proposed paper.
This Unit analyzes the interface between philosophy and religion, including both philosophical positions and arguments within various specific religious traditions and more generalized philosophical theories about religion. We include in our purview not only traditional topics of Western philosophy of religion but also those arising from non-Western traditions and from the study of religion in a comparative context.
Method of Submission:
Thomas A. Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lori K. Pearson, email@example.com
Danube Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Leah Kalmanson, email@example.com
Oludamini Ogunnaike, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Wayne White, email@example.com
Sameer Yadav, firstname.lastname@example.org
Session Allotment: Tier 5 – Three 2-hour sessions and three 90-minute sessions
Next Review: 2023